Mountain Hub has worked with outdoor educators since the early days of the company, having originated out of a snow safety technology company called Avatech. Over the past three years, Mountain Hub has worked closely with thousands of outdoor professionals from all corners of the globe, including avalanche safety, wilderness first aid, technical climbing, outdoor leadership, university, and environmental stewardship educators. Mountain Hub helps students gain experience in information sharing, mapping & navigation, and planning. Mountain Hub’s mission is to build a safer, more responsible outdoor community, which is very closely aligned with that of outdoor educators. If you are an outdoor educator, here are seven reasons why Mountain Hub is a must-have addition to your classroom.
1. Get students excited about learning – Technology is revolutionizing the way that students learn, and the outdoors is no different. While there is no doubt that paper maps, compasses, and matches aren’t going out of style anytime soon, smartphones provide us with a host of beneficial technologies that support learning, informed decision making and safety in the outdoors. Mountain Hub is designed to be easy to use, fast, and fun – combining technical mapping and navigation tools with rich social features that enable students and instructors to communicate with one another, share valuable learnings from the field, and use technology as a teaching tool. Students can share their trip reports and observations via text, email, or social platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
2. Introduce students to the power of information sharing – Mountain Hub is the go to resource to digitally and geospatially document trip reports as well as mountain condition observations spanning ski touring, mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, kayaking/rafting, and more. Because it’s easy and fun to share, students actually will share with one another and the broader community. Mountain Hub aims to break down barriers in information sharing, so students can see information that has been shared by other students in their class or other students around the world. They can also learn from thorough professional documentation of observations shared publicly by guides, ski patrol, search and rescue crews, and national park rangers.
3. Stay connected with your students – Education doesn’t stop in the classroom. When students leave the classroom, how do you continue to engage with them and ensure that they are putting what you taught them into practice? Mountain Hub enables you to keep in touch with your students, comment on their future adventures, observations, and trip reports, and stay connected so that they come back and take your next course.
4. Students & instructors can use Mountain Hub anywhere – Mountain Hub is a global platform translated in more than five languages. Online and offline maps work everywhere in the world, even Antarctica, so you can be confident in bringing Mountain Hub with you anywhere you go. Mountain Hub aggregates the best maps from every unique region, and maps benefit from crowdsourced information so you will always have access to the latest trip reports, observations, and trail data.
5. Save time in tour planning, tracking & following routes – The team at Mountain Hub built the original Avanet tour planning tool which has become a go-to resource for thousands of outdoor educators and students around the world. This tool will remain a terrific free resource for the outdoor education community until a more robust and holistic planning platform is incorporated into Mountain Hub in the future. Until then, outdoor educators and students can continue to plan routes on Avanet and easily import them directly into Mountain Hub. Mountain Hub adventure tracking is another beneficial tool for instructors and students who want to track routes and keep a catalog of these experiences. Photos taken during a trip are automatically tagged onto the track, making it easy to identify the specific details of prior outings, locations of specific cruxes, route stats (time, elevation, distance) and more.
6. Attract new students – Mountain Hub works with outdoor educators to help incorporate them to its rapidly growing, outdoor-focused digital audience of over 75,000. Mountain Hub can highlight you authentically via its blog, email and social channels. Sharing information publicly on Mountain Hub as an instructor also exposes you to Mountain Hub’s vast recreational audience that values your expertise and knowledge, a potentially authentic way to attract new students.
7. Mountain Hub is FREE – Thanks to partnerships with some of the top brands in the outdoor industry like Black Diamond and Backcountry.com, Mountain Hub’s professional features are 100% free to all instructors and students around the world. What’s not to like about free?
Please feel free to share Mountain Hub’s Data for Good initiative with your students to help them contribute to the protection and care of the outdoor playgrounds in which we recreate, reinforcing a sense of environmental stewardship, respect for the outdoors and sustainability.
See below just a few outdoor educators we have worked with:
NOLS Winter School, AAI, Jackson Hole Mountain Guides, Jackson Hole Outdoor Leadership Institute, AIARE, Sierra Mountain Guides, Snowbird Backcountry Guides, White Pine Touring, Colorado Wilderness Rides & Guides
To learn more and set up your outdoor education organization on Mountain Hub, please get in touch with us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what we can do for you.