Mountain Hub has worked closely with thousands of outdoor professionals from all corners of the globe, many of whom have served on Search & Rescue teams. Mountain Hub aims to work with the best Search and Rescue organizations in the world to help them aid those in distress in the mountains. If you work for a Search and Rescue crew, here are seven ways Mountain Hub can help your organization:
1. Access the most up to date information before you head out – Mountain Hub is the go to resource for outdoor professionals to digitally and geospatially document trip reports, as well as mountain condition observations spanning ski touring, mountaineering, rock climbing, ice climbing, kayaking/rafting, and more. Mountain Hub is available across multiple platforms (iOS, Android, & Web) and is a powerful provider of the most up to date and relevant information in the outdoors. Before you head out on a critical rescue operation, Mountain Hub can be a great source of current mountain condition information from professionals and recreational users alike who have recently traveled to the area in which you may be headed.
2. Share incidents and rescues with the Mountain Hub community – Your work is important and frankly, more people need to know about it. Mountain Hub has a rapidly growing, outdoor-focused digital audience of over 75,000 users that can learn from what you share. Sharing incidents and rescues publicly on Mountain Hub helps backcountry travelers access critical information to help make better decisions, avoid hazardous areas, and/or at least go into these areas more prepared. Furthermore, incident reports are overlaid on topographic, terrain, and aerial maps, allowing the community to learn from these incidents with the proper context of exactly where they happened.
3. A mapping platform that works offline, everywhere – Let’s face it, many mountain rescues take place in areas with limited or no cell reception. Mountain Hub provides users with online and offline maps that work everywhere in the world (even Antarctica), so you can be confident in bringing Mountain Hub with you anywhere you go and always know exactly where you are. Mountain Hub aggregates the best maps from every unique region, and maps benefit from crowdsourced information so you will always have access to the latest trip reports, observations, and trail data. Mountain Hub’s custom terrain tools also help you visualize mountain areas by slope, angle, and aspect to ultimately inform your decision making.
4. Save time in tour planning & following routes – Time can be of the essence in any rescue scenario. The team at Mountain Hub built the original Avanet tour planning tool which has become a go-to resource for thousands of outdoor professionals around the world. Avanet tour planning takes ¼ of the time of analog route planning methods, enabling you to get into the field faster. This tool will remain a terrific free resource for the SAR community until a more robust and holistic planning platform is incorporated into Mountain Hub in the future. Until then, SAR crews can continue to plan routes on Avanet and import them directly into Mountain Hub where the routes can be followed from the Mountain Hub mobile app.
5.Track your route and share with colleagues in real-time – Mountain Hub tracking is a beneficial tool for SAR crews who want to track routes to either maintain a record of areas covered during a search or to share a specific route with other crew members for navigation purposes. Photos taken during a trip are automatically tagged onto the track, making it easy to identify the specific details of a route such as locations of specific cruxes, route stats (time, elevation, distance) and more.
6. A powerful tool for training – Mountain Hub is a powerful free resource for your search and rescue crews to learn about information sharing, mapping & navigation, route planning, and beyond.
7. Mountain Hub is FREE – Thanks to partnerships with some of the top brands in the outdoor industry like Black Diamond and Backcountry.com, Mountain Hub’s professional features are 100% free to all search and rescue crews around the world. What’s not to like about free?
To learn more and set up your search and rescue organization on Mountain Hub, please get in touch with us directly at email@example.com and let us know what we can do for you.